Tuesday, January 5, 2010

To sleep, perchance to sleep in


I'm a terrible getter-upper. Each morning is an epic battle of wills between my desire to hide beneath the blankets forever in a lovely dark cuddle bundle of warm, and my understanding that employment is necessary to earn the means to keep myself fed and sheltered. It usually takes me an average of 3 snoozes to even consider leaving my rumpled haven.

My sleepy self is also quite adept at coming up with ways to befuddle my responsible self into submission. For example, sometimes I'll lie there pondering whether it's actually a weekend or a holiday, or maybe, just maybe, one of those special work days when they don't mind if you come in 3 hours late (disclaimer: these do not exist). But in the back of my mind I always know that if it was a weekend or holiday or any other circumstance in which I wouldn't have to get up, I wouldn't be lying there having this conversation with myself, with a beeping alarm in my ear.

So this morning my bizarre semi-unconscious brain tried a different tactic: it tried to justify my sleeping in based on what Steve Guttenberg was doing. The alarm went off, I attempted to consider thinking about perhaps beginning to roll out of bed, when my brain said "Wait! How is this fair? I bet you Steve Guttenberg doesn't have to get up early on cold days." And indeed, this ended up having the opposite of the intended effect: so amused was I by this surreal thought that I was actually motivated to get up, face the day and see what else my weird mind can come up with.

I really have no idea what Steve Guttenberg is up to these days, but I hope he's somewhere warmer than Toronto in January, and that he gets to sleep in until at least 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment