Sunday, April 3, 2011

Some more discoveries (with side notes)


Winnipeg is looking up... the snow is melting, I have actually been outside on a weekday while it was still sunny, and I have some projects on the horizon that I'm genuinely psyched about.

I've also discovered a few great new things!

Cinematheque: A small (like, tiny) independent theatre in the Exchange district, which is quickly on its way to becoming my favourite district in Winnipeg. Plays free screenings of experimental art films, and also great stuff that larger theatres are guaranteed not to feature. I was lucky enough to see the new Mike Leigh (trailer above). Side note: DAMN does that guy know people. And how lovely/horrible they can be to each other in the most subtle of ways. I need to watch Abigail's Party again now.

Parks and Recreation: The first American Sitcom I have actually enjoyed since Party Down. This is rare. I knew Amy Poehler was involved, and yet still had my doubts that it wasn't just a watered-down version of the Office. Nope (Knope), it's different. The humour is more absurdist than slapsticky, and the lead character is a totally likeable, well-intentioned, human person with a few well-written idiosyncrasies. But the whole ensemble cast is pretty amazing, with the one exception being Rashida Jones. She's super pretty, don't get me wrong, but she's about as exciting as a wet dishcloth. Side note: Does Rob Lowe ever age? I would like to know his secret. Unless it's stem-cell smoothies, in which case I'm good, thanks.

Sprouting things: Where has this practice been all my life? Sprouting is so fun and easy, and all it takes is a jar and some beans! I love the concept of instead of making your food more dead (aka cooking) before you eat it, you make it more alive. Side note: if you're sprouting chick peas, never ever stay at a friend's house over the weekend and forget to rinse/refrigerate them. The resulting smell could knock a buzzard off a shit truck from 50 feet away.

Curling! Curling curling curling curling. Side note: Curling.

Thank you and good night :)

2 comments: