Monday, November 16, 2009

Midnight Snack

Quickly, quickly now! I've just returned home from exactly 13 hours at work, putting things online. And now here I am, at home, where I can relax and do what I want. So I'm... putting things online. I really should get to bed but I wanted to share the lovely, multicolored edibles that were involved in my weekend.

First up: my first attempt at making sushi! My mom was visiting and it was her idea for us to try our hand at homemade maki. And I must say, it was a surprisingly easy to make; not to mention prettay, prettay, prettay fun.

Our recipe was pretty simple and turned out really tasty. We pretty much just improvised the ingredients: carrot, cucumber, red pepper, avocado and curry mayonnaise. The lemon pepper sprinkled on top was both an afterthought and a stroke of genius (courtesy of a brilliant and handsome gourmand who came to visit and help sample the fare).


Now that I know I can make maki and not just a huge mess, next time I'm going to start experimenting with some fish and other ingredients. Oh, and I'll try my best to keep the rice layer as thin as possible - they turn out pretty bloated if you're not careful. But one thing is for sure: I'll never pay for overpriced premade supermarket sushi again!

Now that we've covered the savoury territory, I'll move on to the sweet part of my weekend. Namely, COOOKIES! I used this recipe that I found on the M&M's website. I also got really into photographing M&M's.


The cookies turned out pretty great... but come on, unless you do something stupid like use salt instead of sugar, or cat litter instead of flour, cookies will always taste decent. The worst part about the recipe was that they didn't come out as chewy as I would have liked. One of the best parts was the oatmeal, which somehow helps me delude myself into thinking they are remotely healthy.


And the bestest part about them was something I added myself... I mixed in peanut butter M&M's with the regular ones before adding them to the dough. Because as we all know, peanut butter anything will always be at least 45% greater than the regular version of that thing. Unfortunately I guess the PB candies aren't meant to be baked, so they cracked under pressure. But whatever, I think it just makes the cookies look more interesting.


And thus concludes my weekend of rainbowy culinary delights. OMG, time for sleep now.

PS. The new episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm is the best episode ever, or close to it. That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment